Monday, July 5, 2010

One Person CAN Make a Difference in the Life of a Dog, a Family, and a Community!

I checked the website today of Salem Animal Rescue League and our pups are on the website ready for adoption! Check them out HERE!

Tomorrow the pups at the Humane Society for Greater Nashua will be posted on their website and will also be ready for adoption! Check them out HERE!



Claire and I arrived home around midnight last night, after departing Charlottesville just before lunch (we had to have a delicious Bodo's Bagel). We slept a full 10+ hours the night before. We felt (and acted) so much better getting on the road and actually talked the whole way home!

It is a wonderful feeling to know that in just 3 days, we helped save the lives of 26 dogs. The lack of sleep, the heavy weight of responsibility that comes along with driving the dogs, and the miscellaneous incidents (i.e. diesel spills!) along the way, are all worth it in the end. The trip not only results in lives saved, but it reminds me of what a big impact one person can make in the life of a dog, the life of a family, and the health of a community. The impact of each saved life is unmeasurable.

A BIG thank you to the volunteers and staff at Shelby Humane who prepare these dogs for the long trip, at Greater Nashua who unloaded and cleaned the van for us (we were tired drivers), and at Salem for welcoming these pups into their shelters and finding each of them loving homes.

If you are interested in driving a transport, please check out SHS's website for more information.

As we get information about the dogs and their new families, we will update the blog (as I write this, my Shelby Humane dog, Honey Belle, is curled up on her bed beside me)!

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to encourage other people out there to volunteer to do the transport. A friend of mine was telling a co-worker about our trip and the co-worker said her mom had ALWAYS wanted to do it. There's no better time than now!

    I won't lie, it is exhausting and draining - especially the drive up there when you are anxious and nervous for the pups safety and well-being. However, it is worth it. Words cannot express the happiness I feel when I think about the great homes each of those pups will find.

    On another note, THANK YOU New Hampshire for having progressive animal protection laws and for allowing the shelters to be in a position to accept out of state doggers. If only more states would follow NH's lead and prove that we as a community care about animals' well-being and value their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi girls!

    So happy to hear that you arrived home safely, and have rested!
    Congratualtions again on a rescue mission well-done!
    I just got home from visiting your pups in Nashua!
    They all looked healthy and happy! Several had "holds" on them already- day one!! Little Rachel was getting a lot of interest, and I got to meet the new daschound brother of one of the little ones that was getting adopted while I was there! You two have definitely changed lives- puppy ones, and human ones by bring your dogs up. I congratulated the couple- he and his wife were really excited to be adding to their "pack"! Also saw Nash- he was missing Claire:) and will send you a photo I took of him in his "condo"!!

    I've been meaning to mention that I think Miss Honey Belle is absolutely adorable and I'm thinking she knows how lucky she is to have you as a Mama! I look forward to see who Claire will one day adopt... that too, will be one lucky puppy dog!
    Hugs to you both, and Thank you for all that you have done....
    joan

    ReplyDelete